Check-in Day has Come

I left for the Disney College Program from Las Vegas on January the 4th. I was in Las Vegas for a run with all my brothers. I left at about one in the afternoon, but was shortly detained by the indicator light in my car. It told me to immediately pull over and call my Toyota dealer. After about an hour of calling my parent, brother, and Toyota, I decided to proceed gingerly to California. My car seemed to be alright to drive, so I just continued on.

I made it to California at about eight. I stayed at the Twitchell's house, and took my car into the dealer in the morning. I spent the rest of the day finishing all of my paper work to check in. The next morning I checked in.

We were told to meet at Carnegie Plaza between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm so I came at 8:15, and so did everyone else. I was surprised to actually see in person where I would be living for the next eight months. It is really nice. The whole area is pretty well developed with restaurants, stores, a Kinkos, etc... I had imagined that the whole check in process would take two hours or so. Instead it took 5 hours. Due to issues with people's renter's insurance, the check-in process took much longer than expected. It really wasn't all that bad. I had a chance to meet several off my fellow College Program Participants. It was pretty hot, cramped, and smelly, but it really wasn't all that bad.

I got the key to my room at 1:00 and I met my roommates: Ryan from Jersey, Bob from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Brent from Tucson. It was a big surprise that Brent was from Tucson. The room assignments were completely random and we just happened to be in the same room together. They are great guys. So far.

After some unpacking and an informational meeting, there was a get together in the courtyard. I did a pretty good job at meeting people. Instead of leaving quickly or just sitting on a couch, I actively introduced myself to anyone who would listen. As a result, I learned a lot of names and made some great acquaintances. Honestly, I'm pretty proud of myself.

So far the College Program is turning out to be better than I imagined. I am sure that it will continue to exceed my expectations.

1 comment:

Ilene said...

Way to go introducing yourself to everyone! That's the best way to make friends because most people won't ever do it themselves, yet they want to get to know people. If we can make it down to visit Aunt Gina we will try to see you too before your semester ends. It sounds like a great program. Good luck!