Application: Round One

This last May (2008) I took 5-day trip to Disneyland with Tyler and Danniey. I can't remember if it was before or during the trip, but at some point Danniey brought up the College Program. She had applied a few years back, and encouraged me to do it. It all sounded great to me. Instead of school, I would work at Disneyland! What could be better?

While I was at Disneyland, I started looking at things a little differently. I was extra observant of the cast members and how they did their jobs. In my head, I started picking jobs that I would like. I imagined myself doing them, I imagined myself talking to guests, and I imagined creating the Disney Magic that I enjoy. I was set. I wanted to do it.

I watched the online e-presentation while I was still on vacation at Disneyland and I created my online profile as we were traveling home. Once I finished all my paperwork and faxed it in, I made an appointment for a phone interview (For more information about the application process go
here).

I had the interview on the on May 23 and was told that I would hear back either way within two weeks, which I very much appreciated. The quick response would allow me to plan the next several months of my life. However, after a few weeks with no response, I called to make sure they had received everything and that my application was being considered. I was told that my application had not been reviewed yet, and that sometimes it takes more than two weeks. That is understandable, there are a lot of application to review and I can understand a little delay.

Well, the weeks kept passing and I kept calling. I was told to just keep waiting. About 10 calls later, finally I was told that notification had been sent via USPS and I should be expecting it. I was a slave to the mailbox. For the next week I checked everyday, but it never came, so gave them one more call, just in case. Well, good thing I did because they hadn't mailed it yet. They said, "Oops! Sorry! We'll get right on that!"

After 7 weeks of waiting it finally came. It was a no. No big surprise.

I was very disappointed. I had been waiting seven weeks for something that was said to have come in two or less. I had to turn down job offers because I didn't know if I would be available or not. I didn't care if I got the internship or not but I needed to know. It was also unsettling that a company that I care about and trust so much had let me down.

I e-mailed the program about my disappointment and this was the reply I got:


Hi Carson,
We want to let you know how much we appreciate your patience during the recruitment process! There has been overwhelming interest in our program-- and while we are certainly thrilled at the opportunity to speak withso many qualified candidates, we apologize for the delay in processingyour application.


We also apologize that you were miss informed about the notification process. Candidates will typically be notified of their status by a letter sent via the U.S. Postal Service.

Your letter was mailed on 6/30/08 so you should have received it by now. Here is the address it was sent to. If you still have not received the letter, please let us know and we can have another letter mailed.

Have a Magical Day!
The Disneyland College Program


It made me feel better. It came not even 24 hours after I sent them my complaint.

Even though this fiasco occurred, my feelings for Disneyland or the Disney College Program didn't change. I moved on and planned to
apply again someday.

No comments: